VENICE ANCIENT TOWN, FORMER PRISON OF SAN SEVERO
The property called former Prison of San Severo is located in the historic center of Venice, in the Castello district, about ten minutes from Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge.
The surrounding area is characterized by ancient buildings with various functional destinations: the residences are flanked by commercial activities related to tourism and buildings of historical and cultural interest.
Covered gross area: 1,022 square meters.
Built by the Austrians in 1829, the Former Prisons of San Severo were used for political detention and by the Austro-Hungarian police until 1866. The building occupies the area of the church of San Severo, built in 820 and demolished in 1829, reproducing its rectangular plan with a central protruding volume along the east side, corresponding to the apse area of the church.
The asset has two exclusive entrances from the A and B numbers 5016 of the Fondamenta di San Severo.
It is composed by:
- Main building of the former prisons, built on two floors above ground;
- Portion of the neighboring building consisting of rooms on the ground floor.
The two-storey building, with a traditional masonry structure and wooden floors, pitched roofs with coppers, is in poor general condition; especially on the ground floor where premises are found in precarious stability, and slightly better situation on the first floor. On every floor there are widespread infiltrations, deteriorated walls and plaster detachments.
Property is subject to restrictions by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities (Legislative Decree 42/2004).
The property at present is free.
●Value estimation by the owner Institution
●Use destination according to Plan regulations
-At all floors, provided that the entire building unit, possibly excluding the ground floor, is used for one of the following uses exclusively or absolutely prevailing, being one or more of the others being carried out as auxiliary and / or complementary uses: housing ; collective housing; accommodation equipment or equipment for education or medical equipment (only in the presence of significant equipment in the hierarchy); executive offices; direct provision of services; research centers; museums; exhibition venues; libraries; archives; associative equipment.
-Exclusively on the ground floor, and on condition that both, the rooms of the ground floor are affected by the following uses that other rooms on the ground floor, and the upper floors, are served by independent access to spaces outside the building unit: crafts; retail business; public exercises.